Lessons In Life
Okay this is about a pal and me .. whistle blowing... I did a three year job in a Senior Citizens Subsidized Housing Project.. that I was hired to run the kitchen.. and all that entails.. meal planning .. preparing.. budgetting.. buying.. receiving.. orchestrating events.. parties.. and so on.. Well this was very new to my script in life.. but I knew my way around the kitchen very well and was camp cook at Girl Guides .. So ever ready for a NEW challenge.. and always intrigued by where another chapter in my life would lead me and lessons I was to learn...
I took the opportunity.. besides I get along well with seniors.. So this script brought a whole new dynamic to me.. I seemed to be adopted ( figuratively ) by many of the seniors over time.. sometimes almost overwhelmed by them.. but always found the strenght to cope.. The janitor was also a great help to my quirky self .. sometimes helping Me subsidize meals.. party decorations.. holiday gifts.. celebrations.. ectra.. as to add some warmth to a somewhat sterile environment.. we created a lovely garden pathway for them.. as well individual gardens.. honoring ones that passed.. this aspect was hard on Me as well.. for I could have seen someone in my dining room one day.. return the next or after a weekend and they had passed or been sent to hospital.. Now where the whistle blowing comes in.. there was a shady side of the place as well.. I learned of this over time.. I started gathering information..
One day in My dining room a senior fell and hit his head.. now protocol dictated an ambulance was to be called under any such circumstances.. Well a member of administration as well the secretary decided it was not necessary and placed him in a handy wheel chair.. and brought him to his appartment on the second floor.. to rest.. and as it was the janitors day off .. put a post it note on his door to look in on this man... as well a phone message.. well the janitor returned late that night.. not really knowing the circumstances of the days event.. knew it was to late to see to this.. so waited till morning and was wakened at 5:30 by a fellow resident.. He called the man.. no answer.. so let himself in with the pass key and another senior as that was protocol as well not to enter alone..
Well he was dead.. kneeling at the bed as if praying.. I got there as usual early to find the janitor comforting a few residents.. and to witness these two administrators planning a cover up for their negligence.. asking the janitor to change the story.. NOT a good move.. he was an ex-marine/prison guard who suffered PTSD. .. but one that still held integrity very high as well the lives he always felt that were in his charge .. I on the other hand had all I needed now and knew why I had been sent there... and I who had nothing to loose. Many of the seniors were told.. there places were not secure and trouble makers could have their appartment leases not renewed but we on the other hand could do something about this .. so we took on the battle my folks always told me to stand up for what I felt strongly about...
So by causing quite a stink there.. talking to many about the goings on.. advocating for the seniors.. ectra.. I got fired from the job.. he quit.. but also clean swept the place.. The Board of Directors and Administration.. were dismissed to avoid scandle and went willingly I might add.. so craziest ( taking on a Gov. place ) thing perhaps but we gained a great respect for each other.. it was a great learning experience.. and we became lifelong spirit friends.
Yet another chapter...
1 Comments:
Nutmeg, I don't know if anyone ever said "thank you" for what you did, but I would like to say it. Thank you for what you did, standing up for the people in that home!!
My Dad had to go into a care facility in his later years and that is where he passed away. Nothing against the home, it was time. Mom spent large parts of every day up there with Dad and I went as often as I could as did my siblings. When Dad was having a bad night I went up (about a 25 minute drive) and spent the night beside his bed to make sure he didn't fall out and to comfort him when he woke up agitated. So between the staff and his family he did have great care right up to the end.
I know some day my Mom will likely be in a home, possibly the same one Dad was in. I like to think she will be taken as good care of. And some day I will be facing that prospect too, as we all likely will. The staff members working in these homes have to be kept accountable for the good care of the people living there. Being elderly is not a crime and people shouldn't be punished for getting old, but our society unfortunately seems to largely disregard and disrespect the disabled and the elderly.
BRAVO to you and the janitor for throwing away your jobs there to keep those staff people accountable!!
Post a Comment
<< Home