The Story Of Spook .. By YellowBear
My Friend YellowBear shared this with Me.. I thought I would share it here as I hold Him in a small corner of My heart with Honor.. I hope You like it..
The real story of Spook... by YellowBear
From my post about Lefty Frizzle, you have probably guessed I was into birds, lots of birds. In all the years I raised them I had only two end up on the dinner table.
At another of those club auctions, where donated items are auctioned of so the club can raise operating funds, I spied a pair of young turkeys. The hen weighed about 12 pounds and the tom maybe 20. Anyway, I won the bid. It was then I discovered there was no box to take them home in. I certainly couldn't turn them loose in the open bed of a pick-up, and they were definately not riding up front with us. The folks that owned the place where the auction was held came to my rescue with a box, a very large box. Big enough so the turkeys could stick their heads and about 6 inches of their necks out of the corner I cut off. Put 'em in the box, headed down the highway towards the ferry dock. The turkeys did not like the wind, so they kept their heads inside the box. I loaded onto the ferry and no one was the wiser.
If you have ever been on a Washinton State ferry you know they are huge. 250 cars, and well over 2000 passengers. I was directed to the upper deck about the middle. Folks generally leave their vehicles and go up to the coffee shop for the trip across, which lasts almost an hour. I decided to stay with the turkeys in case they got excited and I had to calm them down. Not a peep from them almost all the way across. About 5 minutes before arrival I noticed folks coming back to their cars. I was looking in the side mirror and saw a young couple (mid 20's) jump three feet in the air. It took a few seconds to realize the turkeys had scared the bejeezes out of them. All they could do was stand there and stare. They finally went on and half a minute later an older couple, (40's) with two kids, jumped just as high and the little girls screamed.
I had to get out of the truck and calm the turkeys down. In talking to the people I found out they had never seen a live turkey before and didn't know what he was.
They didn't see him until they peeked in..
YB
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home