... The Feral Sister's ...
Yew.. Little One.. Tips.. Toes.
..BT BOY..
The Sisters ..
Was a summer day I was looking out the window in the kitchen.. with the aroma of lilac in the air as it grew a few feet under the window. I was washing the dishes.. enjoying the time letting my mind wonder to an fro.. only to catch a glimpse of movement in the grass.. at the end of the yard was a wall of lilac trees.. below I spyed a cat.. full grown calico colored type.. first time I saw her.. I watched as she spralled on the grass.. I finished washing and drying the dishes and went about my merry way. days passed didn't see her again. However I as I oft put food out for the raccoon that lived in the yard under the cabana that housed the lawnmower ectra.. I noticed her at dusk eating the dry kibble.. she was very feral and ran at the sight of me. I didn't mind.. but I did notice a rather round belly on her.. Shaking my head.. another victim of society about to have a litter of kittens. Okay set up a plan in my head.. this was to be her last litter if I could manage to win her over.. well low and behold.. time passed and about 4 weeks later I started to see these 4 funny little kittens at the back of the yard.. with her.. they were having a good time chasing leaves .. bugs.. whatever they saw. I started increasing the food I put out and slowly bringing it closer to my patio.. I bought a childrens tube toy that they can run through and play with.. I put out an old two seater couch for them to lay on and play.. Well Mom was quite cautious about all this but the ever curious kittens were brave.. and hungry often.. so water and food was always available to them. Oh they were grand spirits investigating all around them.. they would run up in the Mountain Ash tree that was just behind the couch.. and jump from the branches.. chasing one another..
Oh I could watch them play with such enjoyment.. oft my own cats would sit at the patio door watching as well.. the Moma was always around keeping a keen eye... One day I put the food on my steps.. to see if they might come over.. I sat on the top step with a long skinny branch in my hand.. rubbing it on the lower steps to get their attention.. It worked.. they came over.. first one I called " Toes " as she has extra toes on her paws and black and white coloring as most ferals are.. she was the bravest one .. then came " Yew " a calico like her Mom.. " Tips " was next.. white with black on the tips of her tail paws and ears.. lastly was " The Little One " the runt.. black and white..
Well weeks passed and they got used to me.. in the yard.. Moma still didn't want anything to do with me.. I would find the kittens asleep on the couch in the morning.. as soon as I opened the patio door there they were looking for food.. Moma in the background.. They started hanging off the patio screen door.. it was a hoot.. I would open it.. Toes & Yew would enter and run back out.. Fall came and they had grown quite a bit.. but never strayed from the yard.. cooler wet weather was not pleasent the nights were getting frosty.. I knew they would not survive winter out there.. so I one day I decided to get them all to come in.. and I did.. except the Moma.. she still was owned by her feral ways.. sadly.. I kept feeding her outside.. all through the winter while her kits enjoyed the inside.. but they still were feral in many ways.. I knew they would never be cuddly type cats.. and as they were 4 sisters it was going to be interesting.. intigrating them with my other 5 at the time.. but as they had all been feral at one time.. they afforded the newbies space and respect.
They turn 6 this year and it was about this time of the year that I first spyed this lot..
Thats them in the picture with their step brother ( BT Boy Nanterre ) who has since passed away after a bout with jaundice and kidney failure.. May 12 2002.. Love and miss this good natured Spirit who graced me for 6 years.
The Momma cat was captured spayed while recovering I attempted to change her to an indoor cat.. but a few days later her wild side broke through the window ... she went back to her old life.. I watched her and fed her a few years longer but no more kittens were to be.. she disappeared one day to " Rainbow Bridge ".. I hope.
The Devine has graced me with the funniest cast of characters over the years.. Gosh I'm blest..
Meowwwwwwwwww
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home