Saturday, July 02, 2005

Canada Day 2005

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

.... It started off like a regular day... sunshine and birds chirping.. gulls flying overhead. Got up around 6:30 fed the critters.. showered the birds.. put the kettle on.. logged in to the computer.. no paper today.. its Canada Day !!!! WooHoo... Was PLEASENTLY surprized to find good wishes for this day by Cyber Friends.. great way to begin my day.. Shower get dressed .. out the door..

Well time pack up a thermos of cold water for Percy.. & a few of his favorite treats.. a thermos of juice for me.. and a few odds and sods.. check tires.. oil.. antifreeze.. all good to go.. We are off !! Traffic is light its overcast but hot.. 80+ going over the bridge off the island and headed for whatever this day will bring forth.. As I am one that enjoys going the senic route as apposed to highway.. the cut off comes.. yup I have my binoculars and camera beside me.. Percy's stretched out in back. Ah farm land .. wide open spaces.. the scent of clover and milkweed in the air.. its lovely. Okay lets try this road.. to the left but ever west.. stop.. let me check the map.. oh a high pitched shrill I hear.. dropping the map.. I look what the heck was that.. I don't see anything.. I had passed a farm house about 300 yards back.. but stopped under a tree to look at the map.. for this was a cross road.. Well low and behold this squalk again.. I took a better look.. out the other side of the car.. there in the culvert a peacock.. about 50 yards back another... how blest.. I grabbed my camera.. I gotta get a shot of this.. it stayed put.. I got it.. I'm guessing this belngs to the farm I had passed.. silly bird.. his/her mate was calling.. " Hey Get back here fool " I thought.. chuckled and laughed to myself.. Okay lets get going.. Percy oblivious to the goings on.. just happy to be coming along.. He's an easy going traveller..

Ah the small towns.. and farms show their patriotism.. Flags and signage everywhere.. It feels good.. We stop for a little break.. stretch the legs.. Percy has a whiz.. or two or three.. he loves the new scents and sounds.. head to the ground we head towards the water.. its a beautiful day.. sailboats .. motor boats.. wind surfers.. yes everyone is enjoying the weather and day off.. okay.. lets go.. ah.. whats that I spy.. a sheep farm.. yes they are out grazing.. as well a herd of holsteins and jersey's .. enjoying the shade of a tree line.. The fields are wafting the scents of fresh manure... cleans those nostrils for sure.. the corn in another field is about 2 feet tall... ah the lush green is fantastic everywhere.. We are so blest here.. to have such magic in the fields..

Day trips are just great.. how rejuvenating they are to Spirit.. its truely leaves your mind to wonder about how this whole cosmic interface works.. ahhhhhh whats that... a gopher looking out checking out the lay of the land... " Stay away from the road " I say to him/her... thats the hardest thing for me to see is the carnage cars do to these creatures.. raccoons.. red fox.. skunks.. cats.. dogs.. the odd deer.. are oft victims of the roads and highways in summer.. breaks my heart but I also realize that the carrion is necessary for the survival of some of our native birds.. so they are not gone to waste.. their lives were not in vein.. sometimes the sounds around them are almost vaudevillian by the crows.. the fanfare is oft quite loud. As are the shreeks of the sparrow hawks overhead.. they too spy from above... all this bird jargon over a roadkill... amazing at times.. sad but amazing.

We continue on.. yes what most take 90 minutes to ride the highway.. I piddle along debating which junction to take at the various cross roads.. I am in no hurray.. I do enough of that.. this is MY time.. I have a very special tape on " Medicine Woman " by Deenen.. a friend Yellowbear sent it too me years back.. and I could feel his presence while listening.. it was comforting.. There was a kaileidoscope of colors along the route of wildflowers.. I normally would have stopped and dawned my ever present shears in the glovebox to cut some and create a montage of color for a vase at home.. but no.. that was not my objective today.. but definately another one.. for that to is a favorite hobby of mine.. I love the scents of wildflowers.. especially the milkweed and the wild fragrant angel echinacea.. or zorba red oregano... the birds and insects do a good job spreading seeds far and wide in the modulus of their days.. Mmmmmmmmmmmm " Just Breathe " and " Look "

The day progresses.. we enjoy the sites and sounds ... music abounds.. painted flag faces.. patriotism thick in the air.. people are out in droves water a big seller for the vendors.. as well lots of other treats.. Mimes are entertaining.. its 90 degrees ... HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT... Percy is lathargic.. but ever willing in spirit.. love this character.. So we head for shade.. and the cool water I brought.. he slurps that with gusto.. and crashes.. He is a crowd pleaser.. " WOW look at that dog is 'He Big " I laugh and say " Its the roids " ( steroids ) and they laugh.. he is a big boy.. but thats his breeding 85 pounds but massive bone structure.. He pays little attention..

7:30 it clouds over... storm clouds.. WHAT... Yup moistened we were and giggling .. no one in a rush though to get away from this.. it was sooooooooooo refreshing.. lasted only a few minutes.. but long enough to cause a BEAUTIFUL double rainbow....... what a capper it was.... of course I had left the camera in the car.. so it was to be a memory shot for me.. I have been fortunate enough to capture many on film.. this was Mmmmmmmmmm though... its great to see lots taking notice of it.. on a busy day.. I am sure they oft go unnoticed.. but not today.. Magiccccccccc ... drying took not to long.. was time for something to munch... I found a place that had an outside terrace.. so Percy could sit with Me.. ordered a vege salad with grilled chicken and coffee.. by 9:15 was time to get back to the car and get to the fireworks area.. they start at 10:00 .. Well we found a grand spot for viewing.. The display of the pyrotechnics were SPECTULAR.. lasting about 30-40 minutes.. We did Canada Day Proud... Happy Birthday Canada !!!!! I LOVE Ya..

Arrived home around midnight.. fed the critters.. fixed a tea.. sat down logged in.. hit the sheets around 1:10
what a smatching day..

That was Canada Day 2005..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home